Thursday, January 8, 2009

How English am I?

One of these days, one of my friends said to me - "Hey, I feel my mallu accent is reflected when i talk in English... Jus let me know whenever that happens... so that I can keep tabs on it". And this set me thinking!! What's wrong with your local accent being reflected in your routine conversations? Doesn't it in a way reflect your heritage... isn't it an indicator of where you come from and shouldn that make you so very proud of it? Why is it an obsession with us here in India? Are the English equally mindful when they talk in Hindi? Sachin Tendulkar has been playing for over a decade now and unfortunately... most of the English commentators still haven't gotten his name right! This one's for a guy who is one of the most revered sports personalities in the world!
Is the accent more important than the thought? Why not give thought a little more thought? I hope this triggers your thought process and sets you thinking too...

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree. I have been in US for close to a decade now. My English accent is still very very "Indian", talking in the global perspective. The same English that I had when I was in school in India. People meet me and expect me to be speaking the American way. The best and most pleasing surprise came when I ran into my English teacher while visiting my hometown. She spoke to me for barely 5mins, and commented, "How come you still don't have an American Accent? I am so glad to know your roots are still strong and you have not forgotten where you are coming from."

    Funny thing is, the Americans think I have an "Indian Accent"..haha..so the bottom-line is, no matter where you are and what you do, you should not lose touch with your roots. Also, there is no need to change yourself unless it is for your good :-)
    I would like to end my "long" comment with my favorite quote:
    "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I speak with someone over the phone who doesn't know me - then they meet me in person they will often say: "Oh - you sounded white and older."

    Apparently because I'm half-Eskimo I'm supposed to sound different and have some sort of accent.

    I have a friend at work - he's of Indian descent, but born and raised in the USA. I often tease him how good his English is. Us minorities have to stick together you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AH-RRRRRRRRRRRR ..HR.rrrr uuuuuu... He he .

    ReplyDelete